In the high-stakes world of pollution prevention and response, there’s no room for guesswork or inexperience. That’s why Safe Harbor only works with the most skilled and knowledgeable spill response partners. In this article, we’re spotlighting one of those partners, whose substantial resume spans over 25 years in the industry.
Founded in 1992, ECM Maritime Services, LLC (ECM) started out with the sole focus of providing OPA 90 services to the maritime industry, but has since grown to become one of the leading regulatory consulting, compliance, and emergency response companies. ECM is still rooted in pollution prevention and response, but also offers clients a diverse network of specialties that form a comprehensive package of compliance and response expertise.
ECM currently represents nearly 100 tank vessel owners and over 550 non-tank vessel owners—totaling nearly 4,000 vessels—with clients located in the U.S., Europe, Far East, Middle East, and Scandinavia. The company is led by President and CEO Michael F. Minogue, along with Senior Vice Presidents Scott May and Capt. Nishit Kapoor, who have a combined 55+ years of leadership at ECM.
ECM has in-house, full-time personnel located on each U.S. coast. With offices in Norwalk, CT, Roanoke, VA, Houston, TX, Seattle, WA, and Folsom, CA, the company regionalizes its spill responses by coast and uses personnel who are familiar with the regulatory issues that would be involved in a geographic spill response incident. This approach perfectly aligns with Safe Harbor’s philosophy on spill response management—we strongly believe that having a regional presence and expertise gets the best results, which ECM has successfully proven year after year.
ECM’s services include:
- Qualified Individual Services
- Incident Management Team Services
- Plan Writing (international, U.S. federal and states)
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) Arrangements (OPA 90, California, Alaska)
- Canada Response Organization (RO) Arrangement
- Panama Canal Authorized Person (AP) Arrangement
- Salvage & Oil Spill Removal Organization (OSRO) Arrangements
- Vessel Surveys, Inspections and Audits
- Drills and Exercises
- Regulatory Compliance
- Technical Support
- Maritime Security (assessments, plans, and training)
- Environmental Management Systems and Compliance Plans (auditing and planning)
- Enhanced Compliance Plans (U.S. government)
Safe Harbor is proud to partner with ECM. Both of our companies are dedicated to providing clients with the best, most comprehensive spill response services and coverage.
“One of the first calls we made when starting Safe Harbor was to Mike and his team at ECM because of the professionalism, knowledge, and confidence they bring to a spill,” says vice president, Sean Quinn. “We count on ECM to help us offer the best product to our assureds and the insurance market.”For more information on ECM, click here.